Welcome to the blog! Make yourself at home! Remember, if you see something you like, pin it. It helps get the word out about my blog. Thanks!
Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 21, 2013

4 ingredient D-I-Y Laundry Detergent (no boiling or grating!)

Seems like everyone and their brother is making their own laundry detergent these days.  Always one to look for ways to save money,  I'd been scouring the internet looking for a recipe to try.  I didn't want to grate soap, boil anything, end up with six gallons on the first batch (what if we don't like it?), and didn't want a lot of ingredients.

Enter this recipe.  3 ingredients, 4 if you count the water.  

if you like it, pin it. :)



Here's what you need:

washing soda
washing soda, diy laundry detergent, homemade laundry detergent, no grate laundry detergent, laundry soap, homemaking, cheap laundry soap, arm and hammer


borax
borax, laundry detergent, laundry soap, homemade laundry detergent, laundry how to, frugal laundry, frugal cleaners,

dawn dish soap

dawn dishsoap, dish soap, diy laundry detergent, no grate laundry soap, homemade laundry detergent

···get your empty gallon jug.
···put in 3 T. washing soda, 3T. borax, and 2 T Dawn.

···pour on 4C hot water, let the mixture cool then top off with cold water. bubbles will overflow out the top. don't panic, it's supposed to do that.  once the bubbling settles down, put the cap on your freshly made laundry detergent and admire yourself.

Cost:
 borax and washing soda under $7 total
 dawn soap I had but you could get for $3
 gallon jug was .88  You probably have one already but I didn't. This can be reused for each batch of detergent, so I will not count it in the total.
===$10

I figure I can get at least 10 more gallons of homemade laundry detergent from these supplies, so eleven gallons for ten bucks.  11 jugs of Tide would be around $100!
This was a fast DIY laundry detergent to make and for a $90 savings, $I'll take it!

If you typically use cheaper brands your savings won't be $90 but still should be significant...plus with this method of making your own laundry soap, you know exactly what you are putting on your clothes, and therefore your body!

sharing the frugal with these fine folks:
Serenity Now
Shabby Nest

Chic on a Shoestring
Family Fridays
A Little Knick Knack



5 comments:

  1. That's a big savings! Does it clean like Tide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using coupons & sales, you could get the Dawn for .75! :) I've made the soap where you have to grind fels naptha. I may have to try this one - no grinding sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making my own laundry detergent for years, grinding the bars first. This looks so much easier. I'll have to try it. Dawn is great for getting grease stains out of clothes, so it sounds like a great addition to the detergent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great savings Tammy. I stand in awe of all you ladies that do this and other d.i.y. cleaners. I'm sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is nice information blog. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)

linkwithin

.