Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Matching Stars ($1 Fourth of July Kid's Game)

JoAnne Fabrics and Crafts had these felt stars in the dollar section. I grabbed a pack thinking I could turn it into a fun activity for my youngest.

red white and blue stars, joann dollar section, preschool sorting activity

Now if I had actually read the package first, I'd have known that there are only 6 stars included (2 of each color) and I probably would have bought more.

Even with just 2 stars of each color, my 3 year old had a lot of fun sorting them out.
preschool 4th of july, fourth of july preschool activity, toddler montessori, montessori sorting, montessori star sorting, joann store, felt stars, patriotic lesson plan

I labeled paper plates with the color words, not because he can read yet, but to create a print-rich environment and reinforce that words have meanings.  I would touch each word and repeat it as he laid a star on the plate.


Hooray for a simple, minimal prep, activity that teaches colors and color words in a hands-on playtime experience!  No worksheets!

Photofelt stars matching, zucchini summer blog, patriotic kid's game

  


5 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Gotta love anything that is cheap too :)This would fit into a Montessori Classroom really well!

    <3 southernmessmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for the little things. What an inventive way to teach colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a neat color matching activity. I love it! I love holiday themed crafts, but I'm so bad at ever getting them done :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)