Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Riddle: What do you get when you cross... (#Operation Christmas Child)

Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty


with

a shoebox?

You get this:

Uncle Si joined up with one of my favorite charitable causes: Operation Christmas Child.  OCC is part of Samaritan's Purse (started by Billy Graham).




They deliver boxes to children in countries all over the world (even some in the U.S.A) who live in unimaginable conditions and otherwise wouldn't get anything for Christmas.

Tanya received a shoe box gift from Operation Christmas Child while living in an orphanage in Russia. She and her two siblings were later adopted and moved to the United States. Tanya had the opportunity last summer to travel to Ecuador and actually deliver the gifts to other children in need.
What goes in a box?  It's largely up to each person who packs a box as to what they put in.  I try to always include some FUN items (stickers, a small stuffed animal, book, activity book, etc) along with hygiene items (toothbrush, comb, bars of soap---double bagged in Ziplocks so the smell doesn't get all over!).  So many children that get shoeboxes also don't have access or money to purchase school supplies, so I always include pencils and erasers, a small pencil sharpener and crayons. 

Other things you can include:
Hard candy: Mints, smarties. Double bag this because it could melt.
Kits: Sewing, fishing, construction (measuring tape, small hammer, screwdrivers, small nails)
Clothing items: socks, underwear, tshirt, flip flops/sneakers, hat
Hygiene items: soap, washcloths, wet wipes, tissues, fork/spoon/cup, toothbrush
School items: Pencils, pens, highlighters, crayons, notepad, calculator, ruler, erasers
Toys: Dolls, race cars, bouncy balls, yoyo, harmonica, jacks, jump rope, soccer ball (deflate and send with small air pump), magnetic dress up dolls, tic tac toe game, checkers set
Misc: flashlight, compass, bandaids, sunglasses, hair bows


I save stuff all year long as I find good deals, it makes the cost of packing a box feel like less since I spread it out over the course of the entire year.

National Collection Week is NEXT WEEK.  So you have this week to gather the rest of your stuff and get your box ready and then next week is when you drop it off.  You can even track your Operation Christmas Child box to see where it ends up going!  Our boxes last year went to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  To find a drop off location near you, look here
----

------------------------------------------
Related post: What I packed in our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for BOYS
Related post: What I packed in our Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for GIRLS

8 comments:

  1. We used to do this every year and for some reason it fell off our radar this year. :( Perhaps there's still time to find a box. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy--the website now has an option to Build A Box online if you want to do that! You pick out different things for it, pay, and they'll assemble it. :)

      Delete
  2. I just had a friend pick up our 4 boxes, and I'm going to post on it next week. This is our first year to do it, and we loved doing it. I'm going to pin it for reference--you had some ideas I hadn't thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of a this particular kind of Box but love the idea of it. It is a great opportunity to share stuff with others in need:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are doing this as well! I am posting on this next week! I was a sponsor last year. Due to us moving, I am currently just a participant. Glad to hear so many doing this! It makes a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I did this through work (he still does but I'm not longer there). It's time we brought our children's help into the process I think now that they are a little older. It's a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, awesome, awesome! My son's Good News Club, which is run by his wonderful sitter, is doing this next week. So we'll be contributing items. I will look on your list before I go and buy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this before. Thank you for sharing. I have quite a few things that I can contribute. Will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)