You know what tweets I don't pay much attention to? The ones that say "Here's my blog post, please read it! <link>"
Before I really understood twitter I was guilty of similar stupid tweets. Sorry about that.
Then I started reading twitter tips and paying attention and finding awesome tweeters. And I learned a thing or two.
1. Don't just tweet links. It's boring and no one is going to click anyway. Give me a reason to click. Like if you wrote a post about kitchen organization tweet something like "If you've ever lost your can opener, this kitchen organization post is for you <link>!" That's much more interesting and I'm highly likely to click over to read. And yes, we've lost our can opener before. It involved a frantic trip to the dollar store to get a junky new one so I could continue making dinner. Good times.
2. Interact with people. Twitter is very conversational. See a post you like? Write back and comment to the person. Tweet about trending topics, tweet to your followers or people YOU follow. Tweet at a celebrity if you want, sometimes they tweet back. I keep begging Shonda Rhimes for Grey's Anatomy spoilers and she has yet to deliver. I'm holding out hope though. :)
3. Follow back. When someone follows me, I've started almost always following back. It's a nice reciprocation and I find that I enjoy reading what they have to say.
4. Follow others. I follow plenty of people who DON'T follow me. I follow because I'm interested in them. Sometimes I tweet to them, sometimes I just read what they post. Sometimes they end up following me back, sometimes they don't. Find people with similar interests and follow them, you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of twitter!
5. Favorite or Retweet from others. This is a nice way to be social. I know that I am so appreciative when someone retweets one of my tweets or tweets out a link from my blog! If you get retweeted be sure to thank them or favorite it.
I hope these little tips helped you out! You can find me tweeting about all sorts of stuff HERE.