Do you know anyone having a baby? I racked my brain for all the ways people helped me or that I've helped other new moms to create this list for you of 30 ways to encourage new moms. Nearly half of the ideas do not COST anything. That's right, you can help a new mom for free....those ideas are in red.
1. Drop by and visit at the hospital--just don't stay long! 5 minutes maybe?
2. Take Mom a Hospital Snack Bag--hospital food is ick. Package up some granola bars, muffins, or anything you think she may like.
3. Stop by with a meal-drop it off, don't stay.
4. Bring Breakfast-in-a-Bag and drop it off for the new parents (bagels and cream cheese, a 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk, homemade muffins, cinnamon rolls, orange juice, danish, bag of coffee...pick a few of those and make a delivery)
5. See a great price on baby wipes? Buy a package and give them to the new mom.
6. Offer to come over and do her dishes.
7. Bring her plastic forks and paper plates so SHE doesn't have to do as many dishes.
8. Tell her how good she looks. ;)
9. Schedule an e-card or funny email to be delivered to her email account at 3am: let her know you are thinking of her. Odds are she will get the e-card/email when she is up feeding the baby in the wee hours.
10. Offer her clothes that your children have outgrown.
11. Offer to loan her your baby gear: exersaucer, high chair, etc.
12. Surprise her with a gift card to the mall and tell her she has to buy something for HERSELF
13. If a holiday is coming up, offer to come help her decorate. If it just passed (like she has a baby after Christmas), offer to come box all the decorations up.
14. Save baby coupons for her. If you don't need the diaper/wipe/formula coupons, I'm sure there is a new mother who does!
15. Tell her what a good job she's doing.
16. Hold back on telling her your pieces of advice...unless she asks.
17. If the weather is extreme (hot or cold!), call her up before you head to the grocery and ask if she wants you to grab her a few things so she doesn't have to get the baby out.
18. Does she have other children? Offer to take them for an hour.
19. Or send a new dvd or package of coloring books and sticker books to occupy the older ones.
20. Stalk her Pinterest boards to find something she's been wanting, surprise her by buying it for her.
21. Have a fruit basket delivered.
22. Going to Starbucks? Order her favorite drink too and drop it off for her.
23. Gift her with a reservation for a massage. (This can be pricey, maybe some other friends could pitch in for it with you.)
24. Invite her over for a girl's movie night.
25. Wash her car.
26. Wash her windows!
27. Give her a freezer meal---that way she can pop it in the oven on a night she isn't up to cooking.
28. Mail a card and $5 Walgreens gift card so she can print off some pictures of the new little one.
29. Pick up or make a pretty journal for her.
30. Sit and listen to her birth horror story/fears/excitement/lackofsleep complaints.
Even with a list of 30 things, I'm sure I am missing some. What are ways YOU have helped or been encouraged as a new mom?
A to Zebra
The Fairy and the Frog