Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Blogging Rules I Break: As Told By Schitt's Creek Gifs

As a kid, I was a rule follower.  As a blogger?  Nothing but a rule breaker.

My little corner of the internet has been going for 10 years now.  While the idea of blogging has evolved over the years, there are some evergreen blog rules that I break. And because I am not done obsessing over Schitt's Creek...the blog rules each have a Schitt's Creek gif to go with them. Because why not?

Rule 1: Choose a blog name related to what you write about.

Heh heh. "Zucchini Summer"  

david rose gif

Rule 2: Use your name

"TheBargainBabe". 

What a stupid name. You shouldn't say it to me because that would be rude and socially awkward but I can say it about myself.
I chose it back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was super focused on finding good deals. Bargains. I like alliteration and am a female. Hence "babe".  

I don't want to use my real name because I'm not tryin' to end up on an episode of Dateline. Thankyouverymuch.

Schitt's Creek Gif

Rule 3: Have a niche.

One major blog rule is to brand yourself as the expert in something fairly specific. Some bloggers specialize in all things travel. Others focus solely on books/reading. Yet other bloggers have found their niche in the world of creating beautiful spaces in their homes.

Then there's me. Zucchini Summer Blog written by The Bargain Babe. Do I write only about bargains or zucchinis or summers?

schitts creek gif

This blog's "niche" is "some of everything". Some posts are about favorite books. One month you might find a more serious toned post about special education. Some posts slant to social justice.  There's even one or two recipes around here.  

Rule 4: Use a photo of yourself.

Articles with blogging tips abound with the same advice to make yourself real to your reader. Use a photo of yourself in your profile. Even better if you have photos of yourself making your recipe or visiting Greece (assuming cooking or travel is your niche blog topic. See #3 above.).

This blog rule is tempting to follow. A few readers know me in real life. (*waves hello*), but most of you don't. I'd love to pop on here with a selfie so you can see the blog-rule-breaking-face behind the scenes. I post photos sometimes, of my dog, of some decor, etc...but never any of the human faces around here. It's a layer of privacy for my family. Besides, if you all knew I was an exact look-a-like for Salma Hayek, you might get jealous.*

Salma Hayak
*Def Salma Hayek and not me.

moira rose schitt's creek
Keeping my face off the 'net gives some privacy.

Rule 5: Use Wordpress or self-host your blog

These days most people have gotten away from the blogger platform and gone to Wordpress or buying their own domain.  Yours truly however is still here hanging with the blogger/blogspot home.  I don't want to have to try to figure out how to change it all over myself.  And don't want to pay a hosting service or pay to have it migrated.  

While it is true that different hosts may offer different/better options for blogging, I'm just hitting the easy button and staying put for now.

Are there any blogging rules that you also break?  



I can't be the only one out here not showing my face, still hanging at Blogspot, and with a wide "niche", can I?

popular blogging mistakes



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)